It is the dream of every person on the planet to have the perfect hearing and enjoy all the sounds around them. However, not everyone is so lucky. In fact, many suffer from hearing loss, due to many reasons, with ageing being one of the most common ones.
Today, various kinds of hearing aids can be found on the market. These hearing aids vary from each other on the basis of frequency, brands, design and style. With so many choices, is it possible to buy a hearing aid without first consulting an audiologist/doctor?
Read on to find out. Here are some of the facts you should know if you’re thinking of buying a hearing aid without first consulting your audiologist/doctor:
- A hearing aid is a complex medical equipment that performs many functionalities other than making the sound louder for you.
- The type of hearing aid required is highly dependable on the medical issue you are facing due to which you need the hearing aid. You should consult the doctor to find out the origin/root of your hearing problem.
- Hearing requirements are different in every person, so your hearing aid should be tuned to meet your needs.
- It is not necessarily true that one hearing aid that works perfectly for one person will work the same for everyone.
- Buying a hearing aid online is a risky thing to do because it may not meet your hearing needs and may not help you in hearing properly.
- Hearing aids need to be tuned through special software. If your hearing aids are not correctly set, they may need to be sent back, and you will have to go on without them until you get them back.
- Many people face the problem of getting used to the hearing aids they buy, and that’s the reason why audiologists often set up follow-up visits with their customers. They make sure that the hearing aid is suitable according to their customers’ conditions and hearing needs.
Why is it important to get your ears tested?
For those who reside in Penang, there are many excellent ear specialists in Penang, such as Perfect Hearing, who can help in overcoming hearing loss. It is highly recommended that you see your audiologist or doctor to get your ears examined by the medical experts.
They can help you in identifying any preliminary condition that can cause hearing problems. You should also keep in mind that some of the hearing loss is treatable, so you should see the experts for professional advice to find out if you need to use a hearing aid.
Additionally, your doctor can recommend an audiologist to you for a complete hearing test at a minimum cost. The test will help you in determining the reason for hearing loss, and treat the condition, if possible.
Certain online hearing aid sellers also conduct hearing screens. However, online screening can be quite problematic because it cannot identify the source of hearing loss. It is also possible that you are experiencing hearing loss due to excessive wax in your ears and hearing aids cannot help you in this scenario.
Technology has made great advancements in hearing technology, which helps to overcome the issues caused by hearing loss. Sometimes, a hearing aid cannot aid your hearing, and you may need some other advanced devices to hear better in different environments. In this case, there is no use of buying a hearing aid. Audiologists are the ones who can guide you and inform you about the device you truly need.
Benefits of Consulting an Audiologist
There are many benefits of consulting an audiologist and getting your ears tested before buying a hearing aid, such as:
- An audiologist can make sure that the hearing aid is right for you by using real ear technology.
- An audiologist is an expert in hearing loss and aids. They are properly trained in this field.
- They can guide you in taking care of the hearing aids and getting used to them.
- You can learn more about your condition of hearing loss.
Hearing a sound is a complex process, and the sound has to go through multiple phases before they are registered in your brain. And that’s the reason why hearing loss can be caused by various medical conditions and issues.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to get in touch with our friendly and professional staff.