What are hearing tests?
Hearing tests are carried out in babies to determine how well the baby can hear and interpret sounds. Problems with hearing such as total loss of hearing may happen at any stage in life, but they usually have more severe consequences when they occur at infancy.
The reason for this is that hearing is the basis for language development and speech of a baby, and therefore having a hearing loss — be it temporary or otherwise — could be detrimental to the child. This likely would hinder the child from being able to understand spoken languages or even speaking at all.
Hearing loss occurs when there is a problem in the auditory system, i.e., the system that controls hearing. This comprises of the ear, the brain, and the nerves linking the ear with the brain.
There are three forms of hearing loss, and this includes:
- Conductive hearing loss: This occurs when sound signals are blocked from passing through the ear. The blockage could be a presence of ear fluids or infections, and this problem is usually temporary and mild.
- Sensorineural hearing loss: this could occur in babies and adults. It’s the inability to hear certain kinds of sounds or any sound at all.
- Mixed hearing loss: this occurs when the two above named types are present in the baby.
Symptoms associated with hearing loss in children
- Not responding to you when you call out to them up to 3 months of age;
- Indifference to loud startling sounds up to 6 months of age;
- Inability to say or imitate any simple word up to 12 months of age.
Are you living in Malaysia or any neighbouring country? As soon as you notice any of the above symptoms in your child, hesitate no more.
Hurry now and book an appointment for a hearing test in Malaysia. A good hearing test will be carried out in your child to know the underlying problem. These tests are done by an ear specialist Penang and as well as a hearing aid centre in Johor Bahru.
Reasons why your child needs a hearing test?
It is a routine procedure for newborn babies to undergo hearing tests before they leave the hospital. This emphasizes the importance of hearing to a child, as hearing loss may damage the social life of any person. (Inability to hear, understand, or speak words would hinder the kid’s ability to communicate with other people.)
In case your baby doesn’t pass this test, another hearing test should be carried out after three months.
If this is your case, you should book an appointment for a hearing test Malaysia. An ear specialist Penang or a hearing aid centre in Johor Bahru would provide your child with excellent hearing tests to confirm if there is a problem with your child’s hearing.
These facilities are highly equipped with hearing test equipment such as sensors or probes. Tests such as:
- Auditory brainstorm test;
- Otoacoustic emissions test;
- Tympanometry test;
- Pure tone test;
- Speech and word recognition;
- Acoustic reflex measures;
are among the hearing tests which an ear specialist Penang, or the hearing aid centre in Johor Bahru will provide you with.
There are no risks involved in a hearing test Malaysia, and you or your child need no special preparation before going.
Methods of Managing hearing loss
If the test result establishes that your child has severe hearing loss, treatments will also be provided in these health facilities. Such treatments may include:
- Provision of hearing aids;
- Cochlear implants,
Hurry now and contact Perfect Hearing, your ear specialist in Penang, or book an appointment at the hearing aid centre in Johor Bahru.